Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dear adoring public...

:)

Estoy en españa!!! Okay, so I´m in Spain. I´m trying to think of things that I might actually want to write on here. There´s the possibility that many different people will read this, people from school and my family and such, so I want to go ahead and say that if there´s anything you want to know about, you can feel free to ask, because I might not think to talk about things that I should talk about.

So, that being said, so far I have been surprised by Spain. There´s a lot that is very similar, and some things that are the same that I should´ve expected, but didn´t. Like, there´s a lot of Americanization here, maybe that´s just a global thing that is happening, but there are Coke´s and McDonalds and such. Today, we were in Madrid for a few hours, and I saw several McD´s, Burger King, KFC, etc. I can´t understand why people who have such fantastic food want to eat there, but maybe it´s the same appeal as things like Chinese & Mexican restaurants are for people in the states...it´s something that is different and not part of the culture.

The other thing that I´ve really pondered are the pedestrian rules...like there are so many streets that cars can´t drive on, and they are streets with busy shops and TONS of people...and then occasionally there are cars, just out of nowhere! It´s confusing...and it was the same in Madrid, in this incredibly busy and popular part of town, there were only certain streets that cars could go on...I just am in love with the idea of pedestrian only streets. Can we get those in the states?

I know I have a lot more, but I can´t think of it. Ask me questions!!!

4 comments:

Erin M. said...

yeah I understand the Americans-everywhere part. Because.. we are. and the world has now become flat. Dublin was CRAZY with McDonalds and BK's. it was rather depressing. But! if you go down the street you get amazing Irish food- and you mostly see students and cheap food eaters in McD's and BK's.

J-Mi said...

Oh, did i mention the clothing store with ¨this is why i´m hot¨ on the radio???

piano-man said...

si Evanescence viene a cerca de Madrid, o otra parte de España, email pics, por favor:

adam62385@aol.com

Gracias!

hasta el semestre próximo!

Maria said...

I even saw a McDonald's in Thailand, and all the menus were in Thai. I only went in to take a picture, because it looked so silly. Why would anyone want to eat a sloppy old burger when you can have big succulent prawns on a bed of curry gravy coated noodles for 50 cents just around the corner?

- Maria